We'll help you get the most from your health plan every step of the way.
Whether you’re just starting to think about expanding your family or you’ve recently delivered a baby, we’re here to help.
Here, you’ll find tips for every stage of your journey so you can spend less time navigating your health plan and more time focusing on what’s most important: the new addition to your family.
Planning for pregnancy and first trimester
0 to 12 weeks
Thinking about having a baby?
- Know what types of visits and services are covered under your health plan. Log in and click “My Benefits” to view your plan details. Download your Summary of Benefits and Coverage to see what you’ll pay for covered services for everything from prenatal appointments through delivery.
- While you’re logged in, use our health care cost estimator to compare prices of pregnancy-related services at different facilities near you.
- Find an OB-GYN in your area. An obstetrician, also known as an OB-GYN, specializes in pregnancy, labor and birth. Make an appointment to talk about your medical history and recommendations to help you stay healthy while trying to conceive.
Just had a positive pregnancy test?
- Congratulations! Now’s the time to get familiar with the details of your health plan. Log in and click “My Benefits” to view your plan details. Next, download your Summary of Benefits and Coverage to see what you’ll pay for covered services from prenatal appointments through delivery.
- Schedule an appointment with your OB-GYN to confirm your pregnancy and establish a plan of care. Ask about what vitamins, foods and exercises they recommend. If you don’t already have an OB-GYN, use our provider search tool to find one in your area.
- Get to know our health care cost estimator and how it can help you plan your budget for the year ahead.
- If you smoke, try quitting. Check out HAP’s Tobacco Cessation programs to help.
- Second trimester
28 weeks to delivery
- Most HAP plans cover breast pumps, supplies and other breastfeeding support. Check your benefits to see if breastfeeding equipment is covered under your plan. Log in or register and click “Benefit Coverage Policies.” Then use the Policy Search tab to search “breast pump.” You can also call Customer Service at the number on the back of your ID card to find out the best way to order a pump based on your plan.
- Choose a pediatrician. It’s helpful to establish a relationship with your baby’s doctor before you deliver. They’ll also want to know at the hospital who your little one will see after you’re discharged. Use our provider search tool to find the best doctor to help you manage your baby’s care.
- Register for a hospital tour and prenatal classes. If you’re delivering at a Henry Ford hospital, a free or reduced fee is offered to HAP members for most childbirth and parenting classes.
Postpartum and beyond
- Add your baby to your health plan. Having a baby qualifies as a special enrollment period, so you can update or switch plans outside of open enrollment. If you have insurance through your employer, contact their human resources or benefit department to make this change. If you purchased your own plan, call the Customer Service number on your HAP ID card.
- Your body and hormones will still be going through changes after you deliver. Learn how to get through the baby blues and start to feel like your old self again.
- Look for signs of postpartum depression. If you think you need help managing your symptoms, contact your doctor or HAP’s Coordinated Behavior Health Management program for treatment options.
- Schedule your baby for their first well visits and immunizations. If you don’t already have one, use our provider search tool to choose a pediatrician.
More than health insurance: programs and services to help you have a healthy pregnancy.
Get the most out of your membership. You can:
- Treat yourself: Get a discount on everything from massages to meal delivery services through our HAP Member Discounts program.
- See a doctor from the comfort of home: Can’t make it to the doctor for a minor illness or injury?Use HAP's Telehealth services to talk to a doctor online 24/7.
- Get informed: Learn how to understand your plan and get expert health tips and news through our Balanced Living blog.
- Get help managing chronic care: You have enough to focus on now. If you have a chronic condition and need help managing your care, our Restore CareTrack® disease management program can help.
For questions about pregnancy care and coverage, call HAP Customer Service at (800) 422-4261 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
Calculate your out-of-pocket costs
Register for a Henry Ford parenting class
Low-impact water aerobics are free and open to the public DETROIT – Health Alliance Plan has announced the winter 2018 schedule for its water
DETROIT – HAP and Oak Street Health are partnering to offer HAP Midwest MI Health Link members a new way to manage their health. At Oak Street
DETROIT - Restoring positive conversations about civil rights was the focus of HAP’s MLK Day service project with the Black United Fund of
New health plan design geared toward Jackson-area employers, features Jackson-area providers DETROIT - Health Alliance Plan, a Michigan-based