New to Medicare? Here’s what you can expect.
If you’re turning 65 or getting close to it, you will likely become eligible for Medicare. As a UAW Trust participant and HAP member, you are automatically eligible to receive medical benefit coverage through our Senior Plus (HMO) Medicare Advantage plan.
We're here to help.
- You’ll receive a reminder from HAP, 30-90 days before your 65th birthday.
- When you turn 65, you’ll be automatically enrolled in Medicare Advantage.
- New members will receive a welcome kit, along with access to a dedicated personal service team.
- Keep your red, white and blue Medicare card somewhere safe, as you’ll only need your HAP ID card.
- No monthly contribution.
You must enroll in Original Medicare and Parts A and B
To continue to receive your health benefits through HAP, you must enroll in Original Medicare and Parts A and B prior to the month you turn 65. You will then be automatically enrolled in our Senior Plus plan.
- As a reminder, Part A covers hospital insurance and Part B covers medical insurance.
- There are no enrollment forms to complete. You will receive a new HAP Senior Plus ID card prior to your birthday. You can put your red, white and blue Medicare card away in a safe place and begin using your new HAP Senior Plus ID card the first day of the month in which you turn 65.
- Your new Senior Plus HMO Medicare Advantage plan operates very similar to your current HAP HMO plan. Your covered dependents will remain in their current plan.
If you are Medicare eligible and haven’t enrolled in Medicare Parts A and B, it’s important that you contact your local Social Security office to enroll. To ensure a smooth transition to your new HAP plan, this should occur within the three months prior to your birthday month.
If you do not enroll in Original Medicare and Parts A and B, you will no longer be eligible for HAP coverage. It will end the first of the month in which you turn 65.
If you have any questions, please call the HAP Senior Plus customer service department at (800) 801-1770.