A drug error is any preventable event that involves prescribing or taking a prescription medication. These errors can include:
- Taking a drug that interacts harmfully with another drug
- Taking the wrong dose of a drug
- Taking the wrong drug
Individuals with chronic diseases are at particular risk for drug errors. These errors can result in serious complications such as heart attacks, falls, blood clots and kidney failure. Our Medication Therapy Management Program, or MTMP, aims to prevent drug errors.
MTMP is a collaboration between you and your pharmacist and doctors to ensure that you take the correct medications while achieving the best possible outcome.
Our clinical pharmacists work to understand your health care goals, needs and barriers to receiving care. Your doctor then uses this information to develop a drug plan that may include drug or dosing changes, generic drug alternatives, ordering lab tests and recommending tools to make the plan easier to follow.
Benefits of our Medication Therapy Management Program include:
- Improved adherence: Safely taking drugs as prescribed.
- Lower out-of-pocket costs: The program has reduced members’ direct pharmacy costs by 16 percent and indirect medical costs by 21 percent.
- Improved safety: MTMP can help you avoid dangerous side effects, such as stomach bleeds -- the No. 1 drug-related error leading to hospitalization.
- Better engagement with your health care team: When everyone is on the same page with your drugs, you receive better care.