HAP is here – Helping you Share and Protect Your Health Care Information
HAP Empowered and HAP members are able to use third-party, digital health care applications (apps) to access their health information all in one place. This was made possible through the Interoperability and Patient Access Rule enacted by the Center for Medicare and Medicaid Services (CMS) in 2020.
Before a member can use a digital application (app) to access their health care information, that app must be approved for data sharing by HAP.
The Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act (HIPAA) is a federal law. One part of that law helps protect personal health information. The protection of member data is a priority for HAP Empowered and HAP. When health information is moved to third-party applications, HAP Empowered and HAP can no longer control that data and how it is read or used. This means, once you approve an app to access your health information, HAP Empowered and HAP can’t protect that data.
Tips for Selecting a Third-Party Digital Application
Things to consider:
- What data will this app collect? Will this app collect non-health care data from my device, such as my location?
- Will my data be stored in a de-identified or anonymized form?
- How will this app use my data?
- Will this app disclose my data to third parties?
- Will this app share my data for any reason, such as advertising or research? If so, with whom? For what purpose?
- How can I limit this app’s use and disclosure of my data?
- What security measures does this app use to protect my data?
- What impact could sharing my data with this app have on others, such as my family members?
- How can I access my data and correct inaccuracies in data retrieved by this app?
- Does this app have a process for collecting and responding to user complaints?
- If I no longer want to use this app, or if I no longer want this app to have access to my data, how do I terminate the app’s access to my data?
- What is the app’s policy for deleting my data once I terminate access? Do I have to do more than just delete the app from my device?
- How does this app inform users of changes that could affect its privacy practices?
HAP Empowered and HAP currently has no approved third-party apps for data sharing. If you are interested in receiving your healthcare data through a third-party application, direct the application owner to register with HAP Empowered and HAP through our developer portal.
Apps may begin applying for access as of January 1, 2021.