HAP Balanced Living blog

Get healthy, get moving and get to know your plan.

Coverage for dependents

Peace of mind with the Students Away at School Program

We provide full coverage for your children and other dependents as part of your employer-provided plan.

Children ages 5 to 26 on your plan who are off at school are covered through our Students Away at School Program. They’re protected whether they’re studying down the road or across the country.

What does the Students Away at School Program cover?

Dependents away at school have access to a wide range of care under the Students Away at School Program:

  • Emergency care

    We cover emergency care for dependents without the need for prior authorization. Make sure your child knows to call 911 or go to the nearest emergency room to get help for serious accidents or injuries.

    Your child or someone on their behalf must let us know about any hospital admissions within 48 hours. Visit our Contact Us page or call us toll-free at (800) 422-4641 to report an admission. We may not be able to cover claims for hospital admissions without this notification.

  • Urgent care

    We cover urgent care for problems that aren’t severe enough to need a trip to the emergency room but can’t wait until a regularly scheduled doctor’s appointment. Some examples of urgent care situations include:

    • Burns or cuts
    • Illnesses such as the flu or bronchitis
    • Injuries from falls
    • Strains or sprains

    We also cover X-rays and lab tests needed to treat these conditions.

    Visit our Contact Us page or call us toll-free at (800) 422-4641 to locate an affiliated urgent care center near your child. If there isn’t an affiliated center nearby, your child should just go to the nearest urgent care facility or the school’s health care center.

  • Follow-up care

    We require prior authorization before follow-up treatment after an emergency room or urgent care visit. Our medical director also may need to review the request.

    Visit our Contact Us page or call us toll-free at (800) 422-4641 to find out if your child’s follow-up care requires prior authorization.

    If we authorize coverage for follow-up care, we’ll cover items such as:

    • Office visits
    • Outpatient imaging and laboratory tests
    • Physical therapy
    • Medical equipment, such as crutches or wheelchairs, depending on your employer’s plan
  • Additional covered care

    We cover the following common services at the lower in-network level for dependents who are away at school and have prior authorization:

    • Allergy injections
    • Prescription medication as covered by your plan
    • Required maintenance appointments for chronic conditions
    • Routine immunizations according to Centers for Disease Control and Prevention recommendations

What the Students Away at School Program doesn’t cover

We require your dependents to receive the following types of care from their primary care doctors or an in-network facility:

  • Doctor’s visits or treatments without prior authorization
  • Elective, or nonemergency, hospitalizations and surgeries
  • Occupational and physical therapy without prior authorization
  • Outpatient care for mental health and substance abuse
  • Pregnancy-related OB-GYN services
  • Routine physical and gynecology exams

Please note: We don’t cover dependents who live with a parent outside our service area under the Students Away at School Program. Visit our Contact Us page or call us toll-free at (800) 422-4641 (TTY: 711) to determine if your child is eligible for coverage.

Make the most of the Students Away at School coverage

Because we don’t cover routine doctor’s visits while your child is away at school, make sure to schedule these appointments during holidays, summer breaks or other times when your child is home.

Dependents should carry their HAP ID cards at all times. Our mobile app, HAP OnTheGo, lets members view their HAP ID cards on their Apple or Android smartphones and send the cards to doctor’s offices, hospitals and pharmacies as needed.

Claims and reimbursements

Health care providers outside the HAP network may not accept your child’s HAP ID card. If this happens, you or your child may need to pay for services from these providers.

Make sure your child requests an itemized bill or receipt for these services. Itemized bills must include:

  • Date of service
  • Details of services given, such as procedure codes
  • Diagnosis code
  • Dollar amount charged
  • Provider’s name, address and tax ID number

Send this itemized bill to us, along with your child’s name, address and HAP ID number. We’ll reimburse you for the full covered amount, minus any copays you or your child is responsible for.

Send your claims to:

HAP Claims
Attn: Member Reimbursement
2850 W. Grand Blvd.
Detroit, MI 48202

Need additional information?

Talk to your employer for plan details, or contact us.

Show me:

View all events
View all news

Contact us

  • Alliance Health and Life Insurance Company®

    (888) 999-4347

  • Self-funded / ASO

    (866) 766-4709


    (800) 422-4641

  • HAP Midwest Health Plan

    (888) 654-2200