Coverage when you travel
See how HAP is here for you when you’re on the go. Explore the travel benefits that come with a HAP Medicare plan.
Medical coverage when you travel
All HAP Medicare plans cover urgent and emergency medical care worldwide.
HAP Medicare HMO Plans
When you travel, your HAP plan does, too. HAP HMO Medicare Advantage plans include a visitor/travel benefit in Florida, Arizona, Texas and out-of-area Michigan*. This is a great option if you travel to warmer climates during the winter.
- Use your HAP coverage while you’re in Arizona, Florida, Texas and Michigan (out-of-area) for up to six months
- Get the same HAP in-network cost-sharing rates as at home for covered benefits
To activate your travel benefit, just call HAP Customer Service before you depart. We’re also happy to help you locate a doctor, hospital or pharmacy.
HAP Medicare PPO Plans
With HAP Medicare PPO, you’ll have access to HAP’s network of doctors in Michigan, and you can seek care anywhere in the U.S. outside of Michigan. Our PPO plan is accepted in 49 states**. You'll pay in-network prices when you visit any Medicare-participating provider in the U.S.
HAP Medicare Supplement Plans
You can visit any doctor, specialist or hospital that participates in Medicare, anywhere in the U.S. And with a HAP plan, no referrals are necessary or required to see a specialist.
A few things to keep in mind:
- Generally, the site where you seek care will ask for your health insurance card and for you to call the number on the back for billing or coverage questions.
- If the doctor or hospital requires immediate payment for services, you're responsible for paying the hospital or doctor.
- We will reimburse you for the covered services (please refer to your plan contract) less any copays or coinsurances you're required to pay.
- If you're a HAP Medicare member and you're admitted to a hospital not affiliated with us, you or your designee should notify us within 48 hours. We need to follow up on your emergency care. Contact us at the phone number listed on the back of your member ID card.
Please refer to your HAP 2023 Outline of Coverage or your Alliance Medicare Supplement® policy for complete benefit information.
Medical services reimbursement
If you would like to request reimbursement, mail a completed Medical Services Reimbursement Form (PDF) along with receipts to:HAP Claims Division
2850 West Grand Boulevard
Detroit, MI 48202
Prescription coverage when you travel
HAP has more than 2,000 pharmacies in our network – including nationwide chains such as CVS – so it’s easy to find a convenient location near you. In an emergency or urgent care situation, you also have coverage for drugs purchased at a non-network pharmacy.
HAP will cover your prescription at a non-network pharmacy if at least one of the following applies:
- The prescriptions are related to care for a medical emergency or urgently needed care
- You're unable to obtain a covered drug in a timely manner within our service area because there is no plan pharmacy within a reasonable driving distance that provides 24-hour service
- You're trying to fill a prescription for a covered drug not regularly stocked at an accessible plan retail or mail-order pharmacy
Before you fill your prescription in any of these situations, contact us to see if there’s a plan pharmacy in your area where you can fill your prescription.
If you go to a non-network pharmacy for any of the reasons listed above, you’ll have to pay the full cost (rather than paying just your copay) when you fill your prescription. Once you’ve paid for the medication, you can submit receipts to HAP for reimbursement. In addition to the normal copay, you’ll be responsible for any costs incurred above the HAP-negotiated pharmacy rate.
Only drugs approved by the Food and Drug Administration and sold in the United States qualify for Medicare Part D benefit coverage. All drugs purchased outside the United States, including Canada, are excluded from Medicare coverage.
To request reimbursement for our share of the cost, mail a completed Pharmacy Reimbursement Form (PDF) along with your receipts to:HAP Medicare Solutions
Attention: Pharmacy Care Management
2850 W. Grand Blvd.
Detroit, MI 48202
HAP and Assist America take the worry out of your travel plans
Travel emergencies can happen anyplace, anytime. When they do, HAP is here to help.
Assist America provides 24/7 travel assistance. HAP members can call on Assist America when they’re traveling 100 miles or more from home, for up to 90 consecutive days per trip. Assistance includes a wide range of travel emergencies at no extra cost such as:
- Critical care monitoring
- Emergency medical evacuation
- Hospital admission support
- Lost luggage or document help
- Medical help
- Pre-trip information
- Prescription help
- Translator and legal help
Assist America's mobile app offers smartphone users a one-touch link to the operations center.
Log in to your hap.org account and select Assist America in the Quick Links to get your exclusive code to use this service.
Send us an email or give us a call. Contact us.