Open enrollment for individual plans runs from Nov. 1, 2016 through Jan. 31, 2017
DETROIT – Open Enrollment begins Nov. 1, 2016 and runs through Jan. 31, 2017. This enrollment season, Health Alliance Plan (HAP) wants individuals to look at the true cost of health care when selecting a health plan.
"When it comes to health plans, one size does not fit all," said Claudia Swink, director of individual business for HAP. "Most of us are on a budget, so it pays in the long run to do a little homework ahead of time to ensure that your plan meets your unique needs."
For the true cost of health care, individuals should look beyond the premiums to premiums plus deductibles, co-pays and other out-of-pocket costs. Lower monthly premiums usually have higher deductibles.
Start by making a checklist of everything you need from your health plan. Then match it against what you can reasonably afford to pay out-of-pocket for your health care during the coming year. Ask yourself:
- How much will this plan really cost me? Remember to factor in your deductibles, co-pays and other out-of-pocket costs.
- Is my doctor in the network?
- If I don't currently have a primary care doctor, am I picking a plan in which the doctors and hospitals are geographically convenient for me?
- Do I anticipate any specific health care services for me or my family in the coming year? If so, how much of those costs will be covered by my plan?
- Are my prescriptions covered?
- Are office visits covered from day one, or do I need to meet a high deductible first?
HAP also offers a health care estimator to help members plan for healthcare costs. The estimator allows members to compare costs between doctors, places of service and treatment options and takes into account how much a member has already paid for health insurance.
HealthPlus is now HAP
As a result of the merger between HAP and HealthPlus earlier this year, HealthPlus members will be automatically enrolled into a comparable HAP plan. They will also be notified by mail about the new plan's details and will have the option of selecting a different plan for 2017 by calling (855) WITH HAP. As a HAP member, they will have access to the same doctors and to an expanded network of providers that includes some of the finest facilities in Michigan.
HAP also takes the health and wellness of its members seriously and partners with doctors, employers and organizations such as Weight Watchers® to help its members maintain their health.
HAP representatives are available to meet with individuals at the following locations:
- Detroit office located at 2850 W. Grand Boulevard (New Center area)
- Southfield office located at 21700 Northwestern Highway (near the former Northland Mall at the intersection of Nine Mile and Greenfield Road)
- Flint office located at 2050 S. Linden Road in Flint
For 24-hour enrollment visit hap.org. Look for the live chat button to talk to a representative online or call (855) WITH HAP or (855) 948-4427 for more information.
Don't be afraid to ask for help. Knowledgeable HAP Personal Alliance representatives are available to help individuals make the best decision for their lifestyle and budget. These representatives are eager to talk to individuals and families about existing health care plans or to help them explore other plans for 2017.
About Health Alliance Plan
Health Alliance Plan (HAP) is a Michigan-based, nonprofit health plan that provides health coverage to more than 675,000 members and companies of all sizes. For more than 50 years, HAP has partnered with leading doctors and hospitals, employers and community organizations to enhance the health and well-being of the lives we touch. HAP offers a product portfolio with six distinct product lines: Group Insured Commercial, Individual, Medicare, Medicaid, Self-Funded and Network Leasing. HAP excels in delivering award-winning preventive services, disease management and wellness programs, and personalized customer service. For more information, visit hap.org.
# # #
Health Alliance Plan
(248) 443-7847 office
Categories: Open enrollment
MCCI on behalf of HAP
(248) 318-4303 mobile