Navigating Medicare with confidence: simplified explanations just for you
Navigating Medicare can sometimes feel like solving a complex puzzle. It’s important to understand the basics of Medicare to make informed decisions about your health care. Here are explanations about Medicare. HAP’s goal is to help you understand health care coverage in a straightforward manner. Let's explore the fundamentals of Medicare and discover how HAP can support your journey toward better health.
Original Medicare (Part A and Part B):
- Medicare Part A: Hospital insurance covering inpatient care, skilled nursing facility care, hospice care and some home health services.
- Medicare Part B: Medical insurance covering doctor visits, outpatient care, preventive services and the purchase of durable medical equipment.
Medicare Advantage (Part C):
- Private health insurance plans approved by Medicare offer Medicare Advantage plans.
- They offer the same coverage as Original Medicare (Part A and Part B) and often include additional benefits like prescription drug coverage (Part D), vision, dental and wellness programs.
- HAP, a nonprofit integrated care organization, offers personalized Medicare Advantage plans with a local connection and affiliation with Henry Ford Health, a renowned regional health care system.
Prescription Drug Coverage (Part D):
- A separate plan to help pay for prescription drugs.
Offered by private insurance companies, you can choose a standalone Part D plan or opt for a Medicare Advantage plan that includes prescription drug coverage.
Medigap or Medicare Supplemental Plans:
- Plans filling the gaps in Original Medicare coverage, such as deductibles, copayments and coinsurance.
- Provided by private insurance companies to reduce out-of-pocket costs.
- Freedom to choose any doctor or hospital that accepts Medicare, giving you a wider range of health care providers to access.
Annual Enrollment Period (AEP): Occurring from October 15 to December 7 each year, it's an important time to make changes to Medicare coverage, such as switching from Original Medicare to a Medicare Advantage plan or changing between Medicare Advantage plans.
Late Enrollment Penalties: Enrolling on time is vital to avoid penalties. Waiting to enroll in Part B without coverage? You could face a 10% penalty for each year you delay.
Ready to take control of your healthcare journey?
Compare Medicare plans:
Visit our website to compare Medicare Advantage plans available in your area. Our user-friendly tool allows you to review plan details, benefits, costs and more, helping you make an informed decision about your health care coverage.
Speak with a HAP Medicare expert:
Have immediate questions or concerns about Medicare? Call 888-477-5305 (TTY: 711) April 1 through Sept. 30: Monday - Friday, 8 a.m. to 6 p.m. Oct. 1 through March 31: seven days a week, 8 a.m. to 8 p.m. to talk to our friendly and knowledgeable Medicare experts who can provide personalized guidance and answer your queries.
Understanding Medicare doesn't have to be overwhelming. At HAP, we're committed to simplifying the process and providing personalized care tailored to your needs. By grasping the basics of Medicare, you're one step closer to making confident decisions about your health care coverage. Call our Medicare experts, take our Medicare Advantage plan quiz or compare plans on our website to secure your peace of mind with HAP. Remember, when it comes to Medicare, knowledge is power, and HAP is here to empower you every step of the way.
Health Alliance Plan (HAP) has HMO, HMO-POS, PPO plans with Medicare contracts. HAP Medicare Complete Duals (HMO D-SNP) is a Medicare health plan with a Medicare contract and a contract with the Michigan Medicaid Program. Enrollment depends on contract renewals.
Y0076_ALL 2024 Medicare Explain Blog_C