4 Easy Steps to Run a 5K with HAP
The key to our 5K training is a gradual progression from walking to running so your body has time to adjust and run pain-free. Millions of runners have had success with this type of plan, and you can too.
Step 1: Get ready
The great thing about the HAP 5K Challenge is you don’t need a lot of expensive equipment. To start, all you need are:
- Your doctor’s approval
- A good pair of running shoes to help prevent injury
Step 2: Commit to 60 seconds
The HAP 5K Challenge plan begins with just 60 seconds of running, followed by a 90-second walking break. This is repeated for 20 minutes. Use these tips to help you stick with it.
- Download HAP’s 9 week training guide.
- Sign up for a race so you have a target to work toward. Click here to register for an upcoming HAP 5K race. Bonus: HAP members receive a discount on the entry.
- Tell everyone you know about your goal. Shout it to the world! Post it on Facebook. Once the word is out, you’re more likely to stick with it.
- Ask friends and family to join you so you’ll have training buddies to keep you going.
Step 3: Set your scheduleGet out your calendar and schedule three 30-minute workouts each week for the next nine weeks. You’ll be amazed at the amount of progress you’ll make by adding just a few seconds to your runs over two months.
Step 4: Stay the courseIf your workouts begin to feel too hard at any time – we have a fix. Just repeat your last week of training until you feel strong enough to progress to the next level. Some runners complete the program in nine weeks, but others take longer. The key is to stick with it, and soon, you’ll be crossing a 5K finish line.
This series of short videos will guide you every step of the way to your first 5K: making a plan, choosing the right shoes, training, nutrition, strategies for race day, recovery tips and more.
Use your running skills to join us at the 41st HAP Crim Festival of Races on Saturday, August 26. HAP members receive $10 off the race registration. To use the discount code and sign up:
1. Log in to your hap.org account.
2. Click on “My Health and Wellness.”
3. Click on “Member Events.”
4. Scroll down to see the HAP Crim Festival of Races discount code.
5. Use your code at crim.org/HAPrace to register.