Jump Start Your Workout with the Plank Stretch (Exercise 8 of 12)
Start by lying on your stomach, then prop up your body on your forearms (hands in a fist, straight out) with your elbows underneath your shoulders. Curl your toes underneath and lift your belly off the floor, pulling your belly button towards your spine. Your hips and shoulders should be aligned and your body as straight as a plank (or board).
Hold this position for up to 60 seconds and be sure to keep your back straight. Release the pose, and do three repetitions.
Try all 12 Jump Start Daily Dozen videos
Do the Plank Stretch by itself or check out all 12 of the MoveWell® Jump Start Daily Dozen videos presented by HAP.
Each short video features one exercise taught by physical therapist Sherry McLaughlin, who has a master’s degree in physical therapy and is a certified strength and conditioning specialist. She’s also the president and founder of the Michigan Institute of Human Performance.
Be sure to talk to your doctor before starting any exercise program.
What makes Jump Start Daily Dozen so great?
- By training your body to move the right way, you often can get rid of pain.
- Each move takes no more than two minutes.
- You don’t need any equipment.
- Do these moves any place – in your living room or outside.
- A few moves a day can help you get stronger and be pain-free.