Protecting patients and providers
Clinical Practice or Care Guidelines are suggestions that are written for doctors to give the right care to their patients at the right time. This is done by providing them with the most current scientific information and evidence.
HAP partners with the Michigan Quality Improvement Consortium (MQIC) to research, develop and approve the guidelines. HAP is a key member of this group which is focused on the health of Michiganders. This group is led by doctors and other clinicians from different health plans. They look at current scientific information to write guidelines. This is done to help primary care doctors in Michigan give most up to date care to their patients. MQIC reviews and updates published guidelines every two years. For more information view the website at http://www.mqic.org/guidelines.htm.
HAP’s medical directors’ team regularly reviews the information by the nation’s most well-known primary care and value-based groups. This is done to support the physical and mental health of our members. Below are some examples of groups that the medical directors’ team looks at:
- To help patients engage their doctor in health care talks with them. This is done to empower patients to ask questions about what tests and methods are right for them
- Choosing Wisely: https://www.choosingwisely.org/patient-resources/
- Helpful materials on healthcare for children from the American Academy of Pediatrics. American Academy of Pediatrics is the largest group of doctors focused only on the health of children
- Patient Care Materials from American Academy of Pediatrics: https://www.aap.org/en/patient-care/
- American College of Physicians Clinical Practices Guidelines have the latest information on health services for adults. American College of Physicians is the largest group of doctors who care for adults.
- Clinical Guidelines and Recommendations: https://www.acponline.org/clinical-information/guidelines
- American College of Obstetricians and Gynecology Clinical Practice Guidelines. American College of Obstetricians and Gynecology is the largest doctor group focused on the health of women and their well-being including during pregnancy:
- Clinical Practice Guidelines: https://www.acog.org/clinical/clinical-guidance/clinical-practice-guideline
- Clinical Practice Guidelines from the American Academy of Family Physicians, one the largest physician groups focused on basic health care for the whole family:
- Clinical Practice Guidelines: https://www.aafp.org/family-physician/patient-care/clinical-recommendations.html