HEDIS1 is a standardized, comprehensive set of indicators used to measure the performance of a health plan. In plain English, HEDIS is a report card for managed care plans.
HEDIS was developed by representatives from consumer groups, employers, health plans, and the National Committee for Quality Assurance (NCQA). Measures address a variety of issues including effectiveness of care, access/availability of care, member satisfaction, health plan stability, use of services and cost of care.
We collect and publish this information annually so customers can follow our progress, identify trends, and witness our ongoing commitment to improved performance. HEDIS findings help employer and consumer groups answer the fundamental question, "What health plan is the best value?" They also are an important resource for self-evaluation; when HAP compares its annual HEDIS findings with those from previous years and national standards, we can identify our strengths as well as highlight opportunities for improvement.
The majority of these results reflect the experiences of members in calendar year 2003. Results were compared with one or both of these "benchmarks," or standards.
- HAP's own HEDIS results for the 2002 and 2003 calendar years [CY]
- Quality Compass®2 : The average HMO performance (75th percentile) for commercial (non-Senior Plus) members based on 2003 data collected using HEDIS 2004 specifications and reported to the NCQA database.
Feel free to browse through the following categories of HEDIS results for commercial and Medicare members (where available).
- Breast Cancer Screening
- Cervical Cancer Screening
- Childhood & Adolescent Immunization
- Chlamydia Screening in Women
- Prenatal & Postpartum Care
Getting Better/Living with Illness:
- Advising Smokers to Quit
- Antidepressant Medication Management
- Asthma Medication Management
- Beta Blocker Treatment After a Heart Attack
- Cholesterol Management After Acute Cardiovascular Events
- Comprehensive Diabetes Care
- Controlling High Blood Pressure
- Follow Up After Hospitalization for Mental Illness
1 - HEDIS is a registered trademark of the National Committee for Quality Assurance (NCQA).
2 The source for data contained in this publication is Quality Compass® and is used with the permission of the National Committee for Quality Assurance (NCQA). Any analysis, interpretation, or conclusion based on these data is solely that of the authors, and NCQA specifically disclaims responsibility for any such analysis, interpretation, or conclusion. Quality Compass is a registered trademark of NCQA.