Looking for health care coverage? Below are a few scenarios to help you identify the right plan.
Need to purchase a health plan for you or your family? You'll want to look at our Individual and family plans, which can be purchased directly from HAP. You can enroll in an Individual and family plan in two ways: open enrollment or a special enrollment period.
Open Enrollment occurs annually on November 1. During this period, you can:
- Purchase a new health plan
- Change your existing health plan
Learn more about our plans.
Special enrollment period
A special enrollment period, or SEP, occurs outside of the annual open enrollment period and can occur any time you have a qualifying life event. Qualifying life events include, but aren’t limited to:
Changes in family size (marriage, divorce, birth of a child, etc)
- Loss of coverage
- Relocating to a new area
- Certain changes in income
See if you qualify for an SEP and learn how to enroll.
Insurance through your employer
Most likely, you’re here because your employer offers HAP as a health care option. When you choose HAP, you get:
• A personal service coordinator to answer questions
• Access to leading doctors and health care facilities as part of our network
• Valuable member resources and discounts
• Coverage options for dependents including coverage for children ages 5 to 26 who are away at school
There are four scenarios that allow you to sign up for a Medicare plan:
If you don’t yet have a Medicare plan, can you enroll in one if:
• You’re turning 65
• You experience a disability that qualifies you for Medicare
If you already have a Medicare plan, you can enroll in a different plan:
• During the annual enrollment period, which is every year from Oct. 15 to Dec. 7
• If you experience a life event that qualifies you for a special enrollment period, or SEP
Medicaid provides health coverage for some low-income people, families and children, pregnant women, the elderly and people with disabilities.
Our Medicaid coverage is administered by HAP Midwest Health Plan, a wholly owned subsidiary of HAP.
Visit HAP Midwest Health Plan to learn more and see if you’re eligible.