Rights and responsibilities when your membership ends

Disenrollment means leaving HAP and no longer being a member.

If you decide you want to leave HAP, there are a number of ways you can do it.

Enrolling in another health plan

In most cases, you can end your HAP membership by enrolling in another health plan during an available election period. Medicare’s annual election period is from October 15 to December 7. You can also end your HAP membership during the annual Medicare disenrollment period from January 1 to March 31.

Switching to a plan without prescription coverage

You may choose to switch from a HAP plan with prescription drug coverage to Original Medicare without a Medicare prescription drug plan. To do so, you must call HAP Customer Service and ask to be disenrolled. Or you can call Medicare 24/7 year-round at 1-800-MEDICARE or (800) 633-4227. TTY users should dial (877) 486-2048.

Moving, or living, out of our service area

You can no longer be a HAP member if:

• You move out of our service area.
• Are away for more than six consecutive months.

You can then sign up for Original Medicare or, if you qualify for a special enrollment period, choose a new plan.

Involuntary disenrollment

In most cases, you can decide when to end your membership. If we end your membership in a HAP plan, called involuntary disenrollment, we must tell you our reasons in writing. We must also explain how you can make a complaint about our decision.


If you have questions about disenrollment, call HAP Customer Service at (800) 422-4641 (TTY: 711).

Show me:

View all events
View all news

Copyright © 2018 HAP
2018 Health Alliance Plan of Michigan
Y0076_2019 HAP Website
CMS Accepted 10/1/2018

  • HAP Medicare Sales:

    (800) 868-9885 (TTY: 711)

  • (800) 868-3153 (TTY: 711)

    HAP Senior Plus®

    (800) 801-1770 (TTY: 711)

  • HAP Senior Plus®(PPO)

    (888) 658-2536 (TTY: 711)

  • Alliance Medicare Supplement:

    (800) 873-7526 (TTY: 711)