National Patient Safety Awareness Week
Patient Safety Awareness Week (PSAW) is a national education and awareness-building campaign for improving patient safety at the local level.
Actions to take to help protect yourself
- Rid your medicine cabinets of old or expired medications.
- Bring your medications to your doctor or pharmacist for review.
- Obtain copies of all your healthcare records and keep them in a safe place.
- Write down and carry with you all of your prescription and over the counter medications (including doses), as well as any allergies.
- Write down and carry with you the names and numbers of all of your healthcare providers and pharmacies.
- Identify an advocate (either family member or friend) who can accompany you and ask questions on your behalf.
- Talk with your family or other close individuals about what your preferences are for your healthcare, in case you are unable to speak for yourself.