National Nutrition Month
Celebrate National Nutrition Month® in March
Since 1973 the American Dietetic Association has celebrated National Nutrition Month® in March.
The following healthful eating guidance will help you make informed food choices and develop sound physical activity habits.
Focus on Variety.
Eat a variety of foods from all the food groups to get the nutrients your body needs.
- Fruits and vegetables can be fresh, frozen or canned.
- Include more dark green vegetables such as leafy greens and broccoli and orange vegetables like carrots and sweet potatoes.
- Vary your protein choices with more fish, beans and peas.
- Eat at least three ounces of whole-grain cereals, breads, rice or pasta every day.
Physical Activity for Fitness and Health.
Balancing physical activity and a healthful diet is your best recipe for managing weight and promoting overall health and fitness.
- Set a goal to be physically active at least 30 minutes every day.
- You can break up your physical activity into 10 minute sessions throughout the day.
- If you are currently inactive, start with a few minutes of activity such as walking. Then gradually increase the minutes as you become stronger.
To get more great ideas and resources, visit the American Dietetic Association's Web Site www.eatright.org
HAP Can Help You Take Action
HAP has many resources available to help you make healthier choices. HAP HMO and Alliance members can join Weight Watchers for just $50 for a 12-week session. In addition, our iStrive online wellness programs are available for all members. This includes Balance®, an online weight management and physical activity program.