Running With Kids? How to keep It Fun!
Training for and participating in fun runs and walks (usually a distance of five kilometers or approximately three miles) can be a great family fitness activity. Parents serve as good role models while kids learn that physical activity can be a fun and rewarding social outlet. If you are running for a good cause, that teaches children it's important to give back to the community.
Ideas to keep it fun:
- Walk or run at your child's pace – don't worry about the time.
- Let your child take a walking break if he or she needs it.
- Start out slowly and remember that "easy does it."
- Talk to your child throughout the run or walk and continually offer praise.
- Frequently ask your child questions like: How are your legs doing? How are you feeling? Is this pace right for you?
- Teach your child to save some energy for a "kick" when you cross the finish line.
- Give your child a big hug at the finish!
If you are interested in learning more about training programs for you and your family, visit coolrunning.com or contact your local YMCA. Many offer 5k and fun run training programs for kids.