Skip to content

COVID-19 Public Health Emergency ending

What is the COVID-19 Public Health Emergency (PHE)?

The COVID-19 PHE started during the pandemic to make sure people who were covered by Medicaid did not lose that healthcare coverage. However, the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services (HHS) has decided to end the PHE and restart Medicaid eligibility renewals.

What does this mean for me?

As the COVID-19 PHE ends, the HHS will be making sure you still qualify for free or low-cost Medicaid healthcare coverage.

What do I need to do to keep my benefits?

To help you keep your coverage, you may need to complete a yearly renewal form. If you do, the HHS will mail one to you.

In the meantime, you are encouraged to do the following to help make sure the HHS has the right information to see if you still qualify for Medicaid healthcare coverage: 

1. Make sure your address, phone number and email address are all correct with HHS. This will help them send your yearly renewal form to the right place!

To check and see if your contact information is correct, log into your MI Bridges account at Here you will be able to view your information or report changes to your information, if it has changed.

2. Update your information if your address, phone number or email address are not correct with HHS.

To update your address, phone number or email address in your account, click on “Report Changes” option within your account. This will alert your local office, who will then update your information with HHS.

You can also call your local HHS office by visiting the HHS county office webpage to find your local office information.

3. Report any changes to your household or income to the HHS.

This can be done the same way you update your contact information. Log into your account at and click “Report Changes.”

Don’t have an MI Bridges account?

You can create an account by going to and clicking “Register.”

If you already have a MI Bridges account, creating new accounts will limit the information you can access. HHS strongly suggests using your original account if you are the Head of Household.

Remember! Head of Households can see case information and report changes to the case information.  Non-Head of Household members should register if they need access to resource information only.

When/if you get your renewal packet from HHS

If you get a renewal packet, be sure to fill it out, sign the forms, and send them by the due date with any proof HHS needs.

If you do not complete your renewal, you may lose your Medicaid coverage.

If you no longer qualify, you can choose to buy healthcare coverage through

Don’t forget!

Any changes in phone number, email, or address should be reported to the Michigan Department of Health and Human Services (HHS). You can do this by going to the MIBridges website at If you do not have an account, you will need to create an account by selecting “Register”. Once in your account, when reporting changes, please make sure you do so in both the profile section and the Report Changes area. The Report Changes area is what the local office will use to update the address for your case.


For more information about this, visit

HAP Empowered Medicaid members can also call (888) 654-2200 (TTY: 711). We are here to help you 24 hours per day, seven days a week.

HAP Empowered Health Plan, Inc., a Michigan Medicaid Health Plan, is a wholly owned subsidiary of Health Alliance Plan of Michigan (HAP). It is a Michigan nonprofit, taxable corporation.