Medicare Open Enrollment Began Thursday, Oct. 15 - Have You Done Your Health Plan Checkup?
DETROIT - October 15, 2015 - More than 1.7 million Medicare beneficiaries in Michigan are eligible to select, update or renew their Medicare plan starting Oct. 15. With Medicare open enrollment running through Dec. 7, now is the time for those age 65+ to research health plans and understand their personal health care needs to ensure they are not over- or under-insured.
Health Alliance Plan (HAP) has found that by doing a health checkup to compare medical needs with insurance coverage, individuals can maximize their plans and manage the true cost of health care - which includes both the premium and the deductible. In most cases, low premiums usually have a high deductible. Individuals may think they are getting a bargain, but then find out they have significant out-of-pocket costs until the deductible is met.
"Selecting a Medicare plan can feel like a complicated process, but it doesn't have to be," said Mike Jakubic, Director of Medicare Sales and Operations at HAP. "By asking the right questions about your Medicare plan and being proactive about finding a plan that works for your specific needs, you can take better control of your own health and wellness."
Here are some questions individuals can consider to help select the right Medicare plan:
- Has your current Medicare plan provided the care and customer service you expected?
- If enrolled, how do the benefits and monthly premiums of the 2016 plans compare to your current plan?
- Have your medical needs changed?
- Are you expecting to need different care or services next year?
- Do you need a dental plan?
- Are you planning to travel more next year?
- How much can you afford to pay out of pocket, including co-pays and costs for prescription medicine?
If individuals are happy with their 2016 Medicare plan updates, then the plan will automatically renew. However, for individuals who are enrolling for the first time or switching Medicare plans, they must enroll by Dec. 7. For individuals who have received notice that their current Medicare plans will terminate on Dec. 31, they will have until Dec. 31 to select a new plan.
Sr. Public Relations Specialist
MCCI on behalf of HAP