HAP Introduces Online Enrollment for Medicare Advantage
User-friendly, online solution for Medicare beneficiaries in Michigan
DETROIT – December 6, 2007 – With increasing numbers, older adults are going online to email, shop and even date. Now, they can enroll in a 2008 Medicare Advantage plan.
Health Alliance Plan (HAP) has introduced a user-friendly solution for Medicare beneficiaries who want a simple, convenient way to enroll in a Medicare Advantage plan before the December 31 deadline.
"As more seniors and persons with disabilities see advantages to using the Internet, we've added another online service," says Karen Wintringham, Vice President, HAP Medicare Programs "Now they can enroll when they want, in the privacy of their own home."
Medicare beneficiaries can visit www.hap.org/medicare to enroll in HAP Senior Plus HMO, Alliance Medicare PPO or Alliance Medicare Rx prescription drug plans. Individuals who wish to speak with a Medicare sales representative for more information can call (800) 868-3153 toll-free Monday through Friday, 8:30 a.m. to 5 p.m.
"You can get lost in a complex Web site, so we've kept the online enrollment process easy to follow. We think it's a great solution for Medicare beneficiaries because it's so user-friendly," says Wintringham. "As winter approaches it is also a great alternative to staying out of the cold and off icy roads."
Online enrollment is just the latest introduction this year. Earlier this fall, HAP announced the addition of a fitness benefit with its 2008 Medicare Advantage plans. The new benefit enables members of HAP Senior Plus and Alliance Medicare PPO to receive as much as monthly, up to 0 annually, toward the cost of membership at a gym, fitness facility, health club or qualified weight management program. HAP also announced the offering of both Medicare Supplement and Prescription Drug Plans for 2008.
The Medicare Advantage enrollment period runs through December 31, 2007. Coverage for individuals who enroll during this period begins Jan. 1, 2008.
Headquartered in Detroit, Health Alliance Plan is a nonprofit health plan serving 540,000 members and 2,000 employer groups. HAP is a subsidiary of the Henry Ford Health System, one of the nation's leading regional health care systems. HAP Senior Plus HMO and Alliance Medicare PPO are Medicare-approved health plans. Alliance Medicare PPO and Alliance Medicare Rx Prescription Drug Plan are products of Alliance Health and Life Insurance Company, a wholly owned subsidiary of HAP. The National Committee for Quality Assurance awarded HAP Senior Plus, a Medicare Advantage HMO, Excellent Accreditation.
IMPORTANT CONSUMER INFORMATION FOR BENEFICIARIES:
- Now is the time for Medicare beneficiaries who do not receive coverage through an employer to review their current medical and prescription drug coverage for 2008.
- Those who have health benefits from an employer group plan should ask the company or union for advice before signing up for any plan.
- Call (800) MEDICARE or visit www.Medicare.gov to compare plans.
- The government mailed the Medicare & You 2008 handbook to homes this fall.
- HAP has developed a free educational booklet called "Making Sense of Medicare," offering a concise, easy-to-understand overview of Medicare, different plan options and how each option works, and what to consider when looking for additional coverage. Free copies are available by calling (800) 211-3965.
- Beneficiaries were able to begin enrolling in a new plan on November 15, 2007. The Annual Enrollment Period ends December 31, 2007. Coverage will begin January 1, 2008.
- For more information about Medicare Solutions powered by HAP, call (800) 971-7878.
Tiffany Baker, MA
Public Relations Specialist
Susan Schwandt, APR
Public Relations Director