Free Educational Booklet 'Making Sense of Medicare'
Offers overview, basic information
about Medicare options
DETROIT – October 18, 2007 – Understanding Medicare just got a little easier.
Every year during the Medicare Annual Enrollment Period, Medicare beneficiaries struggle to understand their current coverage and whether to select different coverage options. A free educational booklet called "Making Sense of Medicare" offers a concise, easy-to-understand overview of Medicare, different plan options and how each option works, and what to consider when looking for additional coverage.
The new booklet was developed and published by Detroit-based Health Alliance Plan as an educational tool for Medicare beneficiaries and their friends or families, according to Karen Wintringham, Vice President, Medicare Programs.
"This booklet is designed for the general public, and does not promote HAP's specific Medicare plans. Instead it is meant to be educational and useful to anyone trying to better understand Medicare," said Wintringham.
Written in simple terms, the booklet explains Original Medicare, the various Medicare plans, how and when to enroll, and how to get extra help for prescription drug costs. A glossary explains terms such as copayment, coinsurance, deductible and prior authorization.
"The booklet also explains very briefly what you should do next to be ready for the open enrollment period," she says. "It's a great handbook for anyone who needs to review their Medicare options this year and to decide what coverage they want for 2008."
Call (800) 211-3965 for a free copy of "Making Sense of Medicare."
The Medicare Annual Enrollment Period runs from November 15 through December 31, 2007. Coverage for individuals who enroll during this period begins Jan. 1, 2008.
Headquartered in Detroit, Health Alliance Plan is a nonprofit health plan serving 573,000 members and 2,000 employer groups. HAP is a subsidiary of the Henry Ford Health System, one of the nation's leading regional health care systems. HAP Senior Plus HMO and Alliance Medicare PPO are Medicare-approved health plans. Alliance Medicare PPO and Alliance Medicare Rx Prescription Drug Plan are products of Alliance Health and Life Insurance Company, a wholly owned subsidiary of HAP. The National Committee for Quality Assurance awarded HAP Senior Plus, its Medicare Advantage HMO, Excellent Accreditation.
IMPORTANT CONSUMER INFORMATION FOR BENEFICIARIES:
- Now is the time for Medicare beneficiaries who do not receive coverage through an employer to review their current medical and prescription drug coverage for 2008.
- Those who have health benefits from an employer group plan should ask the company or union for advice before signing up for any plan.
- Information about 2008 individual Medicare plans started to be released Oct. 1, 2007.
- Call (800) MEDICARE or visit www.Medicare.gov to compare plans. The 2008 Medicare plan information will not be available on the Medicare.gov website until later this month.
- The government will mail the Medicare & You 2008 handbook to homes this fall.
- Beneficiaries can enroll in a new plan beginning November 15, 2007. The Annual Enrollment Period ends December 31, 2007. Coverage will begin January 1, 2008.
- For more information about Medicare Solutions powered by HAP, call 800-971-7878.
Tiffany Baker, MA
Public Relations Specialist
Susan Schwandt, APR
Public Relations Director