GO GREEN FOR APRIL
Earth Day is April 22nd
Here are some astonishing facts about our environment:
- If everyone in the world consumed like the average U.S. citizen, we would need at least four more planet Earths. Purchasing Power: World Watch Paper 166
- The energy saved by recycling one aluminum can will operate a TV set for 3 hours. ThinkQuest, 2006
- We are consuming the earth's resources 20% faster than they can be sustained. Scripps Howard News Service, 2006
- Every ton of recycled paper saves 380 gallons of oil. ThinkQuest, 2006
- Every 20 minutes, the world adds another 3,500 human lives but loses one or more entire species of animal or plant life – at least 27,000 species per year. verpopulation.org, 2006
What can you do to help celebrate Earth Day?
- Start a car pool or walk, bike or use mass transit.
- Use environmentally preferable cleaning supplies to help reduce pollution.
- Turn off computer monitors, printers, copy machines and the lights when they are not being used.
- Take the stairs instead of the elevator.
- Recycle office products.
- Print double sided whenever possible.
- Save energy by turning off appliances and lights when not in use.
- Use the Energy Star program using energy efficient products. ( www.energystar.gov)
- Look for the WaterSense label to use water efficient products and programs. www.epa.gov/watersense/index.htm.
- Reduce waste by purchasing permanent not disposable items
- Reuse and Recycle