HAP Profile for sponsor materials, member guides, etc.
Company Overview -
Health Alliance Plan (HAP) is a leader in personalized customer service, disease management and wellness programs. HAP partners with physicians, employers and community organizations to improve the health and well-being of our communities. Based in Detroit, HAP is a regional, nonprofit health plan that provides coverage to individuals and companies. HAP is a subsidiary of the Henry Ford Health System (HFHS), one of the nation’s leading health care systems.
Mission - To enhance the health and well-being of the lives we touch.
Participating Physicians and Ancillary Providers
HAP’s robust provider networks include the leading Michigan doctors, hospitals and health systems: Beaumont, Genesys, Henry Ford Health System, Hurley Medical Center, Oakwood, McLaren, St. John/Providence and the University of Michigan. Statewide and national provider network solutions are available through strategic partnerships with Physicians Care Network, CIGNA and NationCare for Michigan-based companies with members living outside the state.
Keeping Members Healthy - At every opportunity, we give our members the tools they need to be as healthy as they can be.
Health and Wellness Programs:
- Preventive and Wellness Services - HAP covers preventive services, including cancer screenings, physicals, flu shots and a variety of other services.
- Worksite Wellness programs bring free or low - cost preventive services and health education to the workplace
- iStrive® for Better Health offers a free health assessment, digital tools and programs powered by WebMD Health Services
- Weight Watchers® discounts and the HAP Weight Management Program promote lasting weight control and nutrition education
- Easy to understand educational tools help members manage their plan benefits and their health
- Health education and wellness programs and publications help members at every age and every stage of life
HAP Advantage is a value-added program that offers discounts on health and wellness activities, products and services. The services and products made available under this program are not covered benefits under the Health Alliance Plan (HAP) Subscriber Contract, Riders or Member Handbook or otherwise payable by HAP. HAP, its affiliates, agents and assigns make no representations or warranties regarding the quality, price or effectiveness of the services or products, or the credentialing of the providers, made available by HAP Advantage.
Global Emergency Travel Services and Assist America® - HAP covers urgent and emergency care worldwide. Assist America can help locate a health care provider, replace lost prescriptions or provide medical evacuation when members are traveling more than 100 miles away from home or in another country.
Restore - Restore is HAP’s disease and case management program that offers comprehensive services to avoid gaps in care, improve communication and reduce avoidable readmissions. The program helps members return to health or manage their long-term health conditions. Within the suite of Restore programs is HAP’s award winning CareTrack® program that matches chronically ill members with the resources they need to reach their personal health goals, from personalized health information to inspirational nurse health coaching.
Behavioral Health - Specially trained social workers, psychologists and counselors provide resources and integrated behavioral and medical disease management services to members with mental health and substance abuse conditions.
Pharmacy Programs - HAP pharmacists ensure members have access to the highest quality medications at affordable rates while maintaining an evidence-based drug formulary and managing specialty drugs.
Medication Therapy Management Program - HAP pharmacists counsel seniors with chronic conditions and their physicians to make taking multiple medications less confusing, safer and more affordable.
HAP Delivers Customer Service Excellence
No other Michigan health plan gives new members their own personal service coordinator who guides them through their first two years of membership and answers questions. Ninety-five percent of questions are resolved in the first phone call.
Member Contact Options - Members may call Client Services toll-free at (800) 422-4641 or login in at hap.org for secure online communications.
Member Magazine - HAP Balanced LivingSM is a quarterly magazine sent to current members, filled with articles to help them live a happier, healthier life.
Employers - Employer groups receive fast, accurate and courteous service through knowledgeable, local experts in HAP Direct. Timesaving online tools make it easy to do business with HAP. Employers can enroll and disenroll employees, access invoices and check rosters at hap.org.
Providers - HAP providers can access real-time eligibility and benefits information, check claim status and more at hap.org.
HAP is a full service health insurance company with distinct product portfolios:
- Group Plans - PPO, EPO and HMO
- Health Engagement programs - offer employees incentives to adopt a healthier lifestyle
- Personal Plans - HAP Personal Alliance® HMO, PPO and a Health Savings Account (HSA) are for individuals and families not covered through employer health insurance
- Medicare Solutions - HAP Medicare Solutions offer PPO and HMO plans, prescription drug plans and Medicare Supplement plans for individuals and employer-sponsored retirees
- Medicaid - HAP’s subsidiary, Midwest Health Plan, is a Medicaid HMO based in Dearborn, Michigan with more than 74,000 Medicaid enrollees in southeast Michigan
- Self-Funded - HAP and ASR Health Benefits offer competitive options for employers and health and welfare funds seeking to self-fund their health benefit costs
- Network Leasing - HAP Preferred Inc. is a PPO network that can be administered by Third Party Administrators and Welfare Funds
HAP is a carrier partner in Michigan's first multi-carrier and multi-distributor benefits exchange for mid-sized and small employers. iSelect is a fully insured health benefits exchange - a storefront for group benefits - that enables employers to control benefit costs with a defined contribution funding strategy while enabling employees to become active and informed benefits consumers. Employees can shop for insurance online in the iSelect Customer Benefits Store.
HAP is known for community giving and volunteerism. Our signature programs include:
- Water Aerobics - Free classes throughout southeast Michigan to get community members moving
- Enhance Fitness - A free physical activity program geared toward improving the overall functional fitness and well-being of older adults
- Ready, Set, Cook! - Classes that teach children ages 8-14 about good food and making healthy choices, while allowing them to learn firsthand how to prepare healthier meals and after-school snacks
- Connect 4: Your Destiny to Wellness - A faith-based health and wellness program provided through local religious establishments.
HAP employees volunteer for many community events each year. They participate in an annual bowl-a-thon in support of Big Brothers Big Sisters and walks for local charities such as the American Heart Association and the Alzheimer’s Association. We also have a matching gifts program for employee donations. HAP’s charitable giving and community outreach focuses on education, health and human services, arts and culture and civic enrichment.
Improving Care with Technology
- ePrescribing - HAP teamed with local physicians and automakers to launch electronic prescribing to eliminate medical errors and drug interactions - improving patient safety while lowering costs
- Online Tools - Members have access to online tools at hap.org including personalized reminders for health screenings, hospital quality data, pharmacy information, provider searches and much more
- Claims Status Inquiry System - Improves physician satisfaction by promptly resolving outstanding claims
- Membership - HAP has more than 675,000 members.
- Funds Spent on Health Care - HAP spends 90 percent of its premium revenue on funding health care services for members.
- Employees - HAP and its subsidiaries have more than 1,000 employees.
A diverse volunteer board of directors represents: education, automotive, banking, labor and health care. Members elect one-third of the board. The remaining board members are appointed by HFHS, HAP’s parent organization.
Nationally Recognized for Quality and Customer Satisfaction
As a subsidiary of Henry Ford Health System, HAP is proud to share in the system’s 2011
Malcolm Baldrige National Quality Award for performance excellence and innovation.
NCQA Accreditation - The National Committee for Quality Assurance awarded HAP’s Commercial HMO and HAP Senior Plus Medicare Advantage (HMO) Excellent Accreditation.
J.D. Power- According to J.D. Power, “HAP has the highest member satisfaction among Commercial Health Plans in the Michigan region, six years in a row!”*
Subsidiaries & Business Partnerships
- Alliance Health and Life Insurance Company (Alliance) - Alliance offers fully insured and experience-rated PPO and EPO products.
- ASR Health Benefits - ASR Health Benefits is a full-service Third Party Administrator in Grand Rapids, Michigan. HAP and ASR Health Benefits offer competitive options for employers seeking to self-fund their health benefit costs. The HAP-ASR combined provider network offers a statewide network solution.
- Midwest Health Plan - Based in Dearborn, Michigan, Midwest serves more than 74,000 Medicaid enrollees and members covered by both Medicare and Medicaid.
- HAP Preferred, Inc. - The HAP Preferred PPO network of providers is leased to Third Party Administrators and Health and Wellness Funds. The HAP Preferred provider network features leading medical professionals and premier hospitals committed to quality health care.
- Health Alliance Administrators, Inc. - HAP partners with Health Alliance Administrators, a Managing General Agency (MGA), to provide quoting, marketing, training support, enrollment and servicing assistance to producers for HAP and Alliance group (2-99 employees) and HAP Personal Alliance individual products.
*Health Alliance Plan of Michigan received the highest numerical score among commercial health plans in the Michigan region in the proprietary J.D. Power 2008-2013 U.S. Member Health Plan StudySM. 2013 study based on 33,353 total member responses, measuring four plans in the Michigan region (excludes Medicare and Medicaid). Proprietary study results are based on experiences and perceptions of members surveyed December 2012 - January 2013. Your experiences may vary. Visit jdpower.com.