Chief Financial Officer
Richard Swift is the chief financial officer of Health Alliance Plan. He has more than 30 years of experience working with health plans and providers throughout the country. As the president of Medwise Partners, a company he founded in 1996, he has been involved in a broad range of financial and managed care projects including:
- Serving as interim CFO for multiple health plans throughout the U.S. Companies ranged from 20 to more than 200,000 members across a broad spectrum, including for-profit and not-for profit plans involved in commercial, Medicare and Medicaid products.
- Developing PPO and HMO products and networks for major health insurance companies.
- Managing regional underwriting function for a large insurer with responsibility for managed care operations in numerous markets including New York, New Jersey, Illinois, Washington, DC, Missouri, Louisiana and North Carolina.
- Negotiating managed care contracts with hospitals, physicians and other health care providers.
- Managing the in-house and outsourced underwriting and risk assessment function for several local and national health plans.
- Serving as interim underwriting director for a large regional HMO.
- Developing risk sharing arrangements, including those used between a major medical school and a regional health plan.
- Developing medical expense monitoring programs for use by numerous health plans and insurers to identify and manage their medical cost structure and expense trends.
- Serving as CEO for a provider-sponsored health plan during a wind down and eventual surrender of its insurance license.
- Playing a key financial role in coordinating a health plan’s sale to a large national carrier.
- Serving as interim financial manager for a managed care turnaround situation, with direct responsibility for underwriting, financial reporting, medical economics and billing & enrollment.
- Conducting key analysis of reinsurance options for numerous IPAs and capitated hospitals.
Prior to founding Medwise Partners, Swift was the CFO at several provider-owned HMOs and a regional CFO for a national managed care company. Before that, he was responsible for the development and negotiation of managed care reimbursement programs in several markets.
Swift received a bachelor of science degree from Mercer University and an MBA in health care administration from the University of Miami, Florida.